Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Author Interview with Marissa Moss

We were recently able to speak with Marissa Moss, author of the best-selling, ground-breaking "Amelia" series.


What inspired you to pen the "Amelia" series?


I got the idea for Amelia when I was buying school supplies for my son (he
was starting kindergarten) and saw one of those black-and-white notebooks.
It reminded me of the notebook I kept when I was a kid, so I bought it and
started to write and draw what I remembered from when I was 9 years old.


Is the series based on anyone in real life?

Amelia is a lot like me and the things that happen to her really happened to
me (mostly). I change some details to make better stories.


Amelia has become such an important fixture in the lives of many young
girls. Are you ever surprised at how popular the books have become?


I'm always surprised. Girls will write to me and say that they're just like
Amelia and I'll think, "Where were you when I was growing up? I felt like
there was no one like me!"


Will Amelia ever 'grow up'? Or do you plan to keep her young?


She graduated to middle school in "Amelia's 6th Grade Notebook" and I just
finished "Amelia's 7th Grade Notebook" (due out next summer), so she's
getting older, though I'm not sure how much older she'll get. I like the
notebook format where I can have words and pictures, and I'm afraid if
Amelia gets too much older, I won't be allowed to continue drawing. That
would take a lot of the fun out of it for me.

What projects do you have coming up next for you?


I'm working on the boy's version of Amelia. It's called "Alien Erasers and
Other Cool Stuff," and is a boy's notebook with his drawings (including
comics!), inventions, and experiments. I'm also working on a young adult
novel, something really different for me (though I hope to still sneak a few
drawings into the book).
>

No comments: